Friday, January 23, 2015

3 Essentials To Maintain Your Wardrobe

  New stuff is fun to buy, but it can also be enjoyable to spend a little time maintain the things you already have.  Sometimes you might even find that you don't need to replace an item that you thought was toast once it has gotten a little TLC!

 
#1 Clothing/Shoe Brush


  After becoming a fan of Downton Abbey I read a book called The Butler's Guide to Running the Home and Other Graces by Stanley Ager.  I think it is a book that the writers of Downton Abbey have consulted to get some of the show details right.  Anyway, one of the areas it focuses on is how to clean and maintain shoes and clothing.  Mr. Ager wrote about what types of brushes work best and which direction to brush in, things like that.  I thought it sounded fun, so I bought a Kent brush after looking around online to see what was popular.  Funny enough, about a week later my mom gave me one without knowing I had bought one (I think she was also influenced by Downton Abbey!) so I decided to dedicate one to shoes and the other to clothes. (Kent Brush)





#2 Garment Steamer


I use this all the time: it helps with T-shirts and skirts that have been folded for too long, with pleated tops, a coat that had a bent lapel from being squished in the closet...I really like it.  I bought a hand held model, and when I need to use it I just put what I want to steam onto a hanger and hang it in the shower to hold it up.  (Conair Extreme Steam Fabric Steamer.)


#3 Fabric Defuzzer


This might be a little sad to admit, but this morning I put on this grey sweater and was so happy when I realized it needed to be de-fuzzed.   I bought the defuzzer as a last ditch effort to avoid losing some things in my closet that I like so much:  I defuzzed several sweaters and a fleece North Face jacket.  They all look good as new, and it was kind of fun to lay them out on the bed to work on them while watching the Seahawks.  It was like finding money in a pair of jeans that haven't been worn in while! (Conair Battery Operated Defuzzer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment