Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Feeding Hummingbirds

I love hummingbirds.  It's fun to watch their peculiar looking way of feeding, as they lean in for a sip of nectar and then fly backwards as they pause between sips.  The sounds they make remind me of old video games, like Space Invaders gunfire.


I started making the hummingbird food because I kept forgetting to buy it at the store.  It's really easy to make: 

To fill one feeder just boil 1 cup of water mixed with 1/4 cup of granulated sugar.  Allow to cool before filling feeder.  I usually put it in the refrigerator overnight to make sure that between boiling and chilling I've made the hummingbird food less likely to spoil or grow mold in the feeder (which can be a problem during hot weather).





I make a batch and keep it in the refrigerator a day or two before I think the feeder will go empty.


The kids and I watched an "ectreme eaters" episode of a show called The Most Extreme and it said hummingbirds are about 2 hours away from starvation at any given time because their caloric needs are so high.  


For years I tried to attract hummingbirds to my yard with little success.  I planted red flowers and varieties of plants that I had read that hummingbirds liked, but it wasn't until I moved the feeder a bit farther away from the other bird feeders.  They like it much better now.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh very awesome! I wish I could get some hummingbirds as well :) They are such absolutely wonderful birds.

    ReplyDelete