Friday, June 14, 2013

Palak Paneer Recipe

I like paneer cheese as much as my kids, but to me it's not complete unless there is some palaak to go with it.  Palak is a tasty pureed spinach dish that is also nice with rice and any kind of chicken.  (You'll find the recipe at the end of this post. )   
 
First, I heat up 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a really big frying pan.  Then I toss in 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and let them toast up a bit. 
 
 
Then add 2 tablespoons of garam masala (a blend of several spices used frequently in Indian foods) and let it cook for a minute while adding a small chopped up white onion.

 
Next, I add two16 ounce cans of petite diced tomatoes, including the juice from the can. 

 
I always add the spinach in two batches because it's so voluminous until it cooks down.
 
Batch 1:
 
 
Batch 2:


Keep stirring until it's all nice and soft:

 
Next everything goes into the food processor until nicely pureed.  Taste and add more garam masala now, if you like.
 
 
Palak Recipe:
 
1 tsp cumin seeds
2T garam masala
1 small onion chopped
2 cans (16 oz) petite diced tomatoes
 1 1/2 lbs fresh spinach

No comments:

Post a Comment