Monday, August 16, 2010

Nina Garcia's Look Book


There are a ton of fashion advice books out there, but the new Nina Garcia book has to be one of the most useful.  It's called Nina Garcia's Look Book

 She has also written  The Little Black Book of Style, a primer on style, The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own, a discussion of the pieces every woman should have, and The Style Strategy: A Less-Is-More Approach to Staying Chic and Shopping Smart, a blue print for creating and maintaining a stylish wardrobe.   

The Look Book  is specifically for outfit ideas in an exhaustive list of situations, broken down into these categories: work, dating, day, night,  holidays, life events, weddiongs and dream travel.  While the idea of writing about when you should wear what is not new, surely it has never been addressed to exhaustively!    

 One entry I liked was the one about what to wear to a Parent/Teacher conference.  Dressing for school-related situations sounds easy enough, but when you are at school and you see how differently people can dress for the same situation (like anywhere, I suppose), it can make wonder if you are on the right track with what you chose to wear. ( I was quoted in an article on that very topic once.)  I liked that this situation was included in the book because it goes beyond the usual what to wear to work and weddings that every style book has.


This book is small in size so it feels very handy to use.  I am keeping mine in my closet so I can just flip through it when I want some inspiration.  When I read through it the first time I took it in my tote bag when the kids went to swimming and since it is small, Icould take it out to read without feeling silly,  like I was balancing a big picture book on my lap, the way it is with many other books in the style genre. 

Nina Garcia continues her collaboration with Ruben Toledo in this book.  I can't get enough of his beautiful illustrations!  The book is very beautiful overall.  I even like the squiggly embellishments on the spine of the book (see first picture).



Nina Garcia' s Look Book is out this month.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading style books to get another perspective on things. I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your comments in the article. I've been thinking of what to wear myself for Orientation this Friday when I meet the new teachers. They've seen me around school all year but now we meet face to face and they will play a big part in my kids lives.

    ReplyDelete