Monday, May 24, 2010

Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner


It's always a happy day when I find a new author to like. 
Generally I read books on history or biography, but I also like authors such as Dan Brown, Michael Crichton and Robin Cook.  I read their books because they paint a compelling picture of their main characters with lots of interesting asides and the storyline moves along at a good pace, making me want to read long into the night to find out what happens next.  Sadly, at this point I've read most all their books and now what?
Enter Jennifer Weiner!

I just finished Best Friends Forever, and I loved it.  It was a New York Times #1 best seller, so apparently other people enjoyed it as well.  It's the story of Addie Downs and her friend since grade school, Valerie Adler.  Something happens in high school and things change between them as a result. They lose touch...until the night of the 10 year reunion when Valerie shows up at Addie's doorstep needing her help.  What split them up, and how they get out of their current predicament and back together are the two central mysteries unfolding parallel to each other through the book's pages.

Immersed in the book, I read their thoughts and felt their experiences as if they were really happening.  There were lots of funny little moments and a few sad things that made me realize that I had connected with the story enough to care about what was happening- a sign of a good book.  Addie is the girl we all knew, or maybe even were, who got picked on in school but in the end makes out better than those popular kids that teased her and by and large peaked in high school.  It was a nice, light-hearted read that left me wanting more, and I am glad to know that there are still 6 other books by Jennifer Weiner for me to read, including  "In her Shoes," which was made into a movie starring Cameron Diaz and Toni Collette.

There is also a new novel called "Fly Away Home" coming out July 13th.

To learn more about Jennifer Weiner, you can visit her own blog, called A Moment of Jen (cute name!) or go straight to the full website, http://www.jenniferweiner.com/.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I've been looking for a light-hearted easy read. Having an 18 month old makes me totally shy away from books that would require a lot of emotional investment...!

    ReplyDelete