Monday, March 29, 2010

Skin Care Products I'm Using Now

Photobucket

  This is me at about 6 years old.  The only toiletries I used back then were toothpaste and Coppertone sunscreen.

  I still use toothpaste, but the medicine cabinet is somewhat fuller now as I move through my early 30s:

Photobucket

  In addition to my friends Water (plain h20 and coconut) and Exercise (sweat purifies skin from the inside out, right?) I have tried out a lot of  different products over the years and settled on these ones to do whatever magic is possible to keep a youthful appearance.  While I haven't found the perfect products in every area yet, here is what constitutes my skincare regimen today:

Soap

Cetaphil Antibacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar Soap-  I use this with a cotton washcloth to clean my face every night.  In the morning I just rinse my face with water because a long time ago I read something about not using soap in the morning because it disrupts the protective "acid mantle" that your face builds up overnight.  If your face was clean when you went to sleep, why would you need to wash it again in the morning anyways?  It's basic, but I don't think everything needs bells and whistles to work well. (not pictured.)

Exfoliant

1.  St. Ives Elements Microdermabrasion- I switched to this after having used the St. Ives Apricot Scrub for years and years because I thought I needed to use something more gentle as I get older.  I read that as you age your skin thins out  and can get abraded too much by using a strong exfoliant. This one is gentle but still feels effective.  I use this once or twice a week.

Complexion Extra

2.  L'Oreal SkinGenesis Complexion Equalizer- This is a new addition to my routine that I'm testing out.  Here's the story:  I picked it up after I used a sample of Lancome Genefique for about a week.  I love the idea of Genefique, but I don't want to spend $84 dollars for an ounce.  Lancome is the same company that produces L'Oreal so I think the product lines are bound to be very similar.  The ingredient strength may be lesser in the L'Oreal line than in the Lancome line, but it's a trade off that I'm willing to make.  If I don't like this Complexion Equalizer after I've gone through the jar I'll find another product to target the same goal of complexion eveness and youthful appearance.

Daily Moisturizer

3.  Neutrogena Healthy Daily Defense Moisturizer w/SPF 45- This has something Neutrogena calls Helioplex in it which is supposed to give the sun protection side of this moisturizer a boost.  Instead of offering just protection against UVB rays it also provides a greater coverage against UVA rays, which are the rays that cause more skin aging.  I also like that this moisturizer is an spf 45 instead of the 15 or 30 that many other daily moisturizers offer. I've used this product for a long time and really like it, so it's definately a keeper.  

Eye Cream

4.  L'Oreal Dermo Expertise Age Perfect Eye- I've added an under eye cream during the day because it's one of my areas of greatest concern since I wear contacts and always have to tug on the corners of my eyes when I take the contacts out each night.  Tugging which I've done for the last 20 years! I'm looking for a product that firms and fights lines, which this cream seems to do alright.  I like it, but I might try another product when I finish this pot.

Wrinkle Fighter

5.  Neutrogena Age Intensives Deep Wrinkle Serum- I use this every night after I wash my face.  It has anti-oxidants and retinol in it. I think my skin really responds to it.  I put it on my entire face but I concentrate a little extra between my eye brows where my frown lines are forming, and under my eyes and along the nasolabial folds.  The bottle has a nice pump dispenser that you can twist and close to preserve the potency of the retinol.  This is another product I have bought several times over. Definite keeper.

Night Cream

6. Oil of Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream- I'm on my second jar of this night cream, and I really love it.  Many night creams don't address sag-prone areas like the neck, but this one does, and that's an area of concern for me so I definitely find that to be a bonus. I think it's important to not only treat signs of aging but also to hydrate your skin well to keep it youthful and able to fight off wrinkles.  This cream has some fancy system of peptides to carry the moisture in higher concentration on the cellular level, which I've read about and think, "Sounds good."  I read about it before I bought the cream, but I can't really explain it better now.  Just enough of an explanation to get you interested in investigating it more for yourself, hopefully, because it's a good product.

What are your favorite products?  Do you think skin care from the drugstore can compete with department store brands?

1 comment:

  1. I have stupid skin which will only accept moisturizer for sensitive skin or cheap baby lotion... I do like Dermalogica or REN if I need a skin treat though.

    tweet tweet tweet

    x

    ReplyDelete