Friday, March 20, 2009

A Packing Experiment







Imagine a big suitcase. In this suitcase there are clothes for 1 to 2 adults and 3 children as well as diapers, shoes, toys, and toiletries. Do you know what this suitcase looks like half way through a two week trip to France? It's not pretty, I assure you! It's really my least favorite thing to deal with when I have travelled in the past. I even feel a little stressed over it.
In May the Mother of Style crew is taking another trip to France, and this time I am vowing that it will be different! Not long ago I read an article about the "Amazing Race" host Phil Keoghan, and he mentioned that he used Eagle Creek products for organizing his luggage, so I decided to check it out. He travels a lot- it might be a good idea to explore.

The Eagle Creek site is a nice resource, but I ended up ordering from eBags because it was cheaper. I tried to find things on ebay, but by the time everyone bids on it, it is close to full-price and eBags was still the better option. The packing cubes and more are found under the "travel accessories" tab. eBags regularly offers promotions with free shipping, and once you have made an order they send you an occasional email with an offer like more free shipping or 20% off your next order.

So what did I get? I ordered 1- 18" packing folder for my husband and I to share and a packing cube for each person. The cubes come in a variety of colors, so everyone gets there own color. I hope this will mean it is easy to keep organized and eliminate the time spent on repacking the suitcase during the course of the trip. My strategy is to compartmentalize everything so that it is easy to work with and find things. I'm still considering getting a compression bag to use in preperation for the trip home. Then I can squish down the dirty laundry and make room for what we buy on the trip.
What do you find works well when you are traveling?

On the web:

No comments:

Post a Comment